Canadian Makeup Artist Shares Her Top 5 Green Makeup Products
Hello, EcoDivas! We're so excited to share a post from our friend, Canadian makeup artist Ashely Maronik. Ashley is a makeup artist and green beauty educator who has the passion to inspire, educate and empower woman to allow their inner and outer beauty shine. Living and breathing beauty at an early age built Ashley’ passion and desire to make a difference with our approach to beauty through the use of clean beauty products. When Ashley isn’t working, you’ll find her and her fiancé exploring Vancouver’s vibrant and trendy west coast lifestyle, photographing urban lifestyle portraits and exploring new vegan restaurants. Read on to see her top five green beauty picks!
Welcome to an inside look at some of my favourite green beauty makeup items. In an ever-growing world of natural, organic luxury makeup products, how does one pick out high-performing products? Each of the products I’ve highlighted has out-performed and surpassed any of my doubts. Take a look at my top five must-have makeup products that I know will literally transform your look.
1. Kjaer Weis Radiance Highlighter. Hello!? What more can I say then I absolutely love this product. This highlighter can completely change your beauty look. If applied correctly, it instantly gives you that sun-kissed glowing look where people can’t place what’s different, just that you look amazing. The one thing I especially love about this highlighter is that it’s not a powder, but rather a cream formula for an easy application. Other than this product having beautiful packaging, the highlighter looks phenomenal on all skin types.
How to apply:
You can apply highlighter to three main areas: the cheekbones and temples, the eyes, and Cupid’s bow. For best results, I like to use the warmth of my fingers to apply for a super easy and quick application—no brushes needed.
2. The new brand on the block: NU EVOLUTION, specifically their nontoxic lipsticks in Allure, Melon and Delish. All three of these colours will instantly add some va va voom to your beauty look. Did you know finding the right shade of lipstick adds posture, gives edge to an ensemble and makes a statement about your personal style—and who doesn’t want that?! These lipsticks are made with high-quality luxury ingredients that are certified organic. I was blown away with the long lasting and highly pigmented each of these lippies were.
Colour Descriptions (from top to bottom in above image):
- Melon is a soft, peachy colour with a hint of orange that will keep the focus on the pout.
- Delish is a vibrant shade of pink with a hint of coral that makes a bold statement.
- Allure is the perfect shade of nude and is basically my everyday go to lippie.
3. W3LL Mineral Setting Powder. The worst is having done your makeup only to have it only last a couple hours. This translucent powder it is a major lifesaver helping set foundation ensuring extra long wear. It’s weightless powder and definitely helps reduce shine giving you that flawless finish.
How to apply:
After you’ve applied foundation and or/concealer, use a powder brush and apply mineral powder all over entire face. I like to start where I am most oily (T-Zone) and work my way out. Just remember a little goes a long way.
4. Fitglow Beauty Mineral Blush Compacts. There are so many blush options and it can get a little overwhelming. Personally, I prefer a press-powder blush and one of my favourite blushes currently on the market is Cheeky by Fitglow Beauty. This beautiful peachy-silk mineral blush is long-lasting and blends quite easily. Wearing this peachy colour especially, in the summer would be the perfect way to immediately make you look brighter and revitalized.
How to apply:
There are numerous ways to apply blush, but the easiest way is to apply blush to apply it along your cheekbones. Start with just a little blush and lightly sweep using a medium sized fluffy brush. Use an upward sweep to give the illusion of pulling the face back and will create a slimming effect.
5. NU EVOLUTION Mascara. When I first decided to make the switch to clean makeup products, I was hesitant to wear natural mascara. I’m not one for subtle, natural looking mascara and I definitely did not want to compromise results. So like I always do, I started researching mascaras—reading reviews, googling different brands, etc. I’ve tried quite a few brands and when I tried NU EVOLUTION let me tell you—this did not disappoint! The mascara applied beautifully giving me that voluminous, defined look that I like.
How to apply:
I believe applying mascara is literally a skill every woman should know. One thing that’s extremely important is to not pump the wand in and out of the bottle. By you doing this, you end up pumping air into the tube giving your mascara a shortened life span, aka drying out faster causing it to clump and flake. Instead, twirl the wand in a circular motion in the tube then pull out. I like to do a zig-zag motion starting at the base of the lash and moving to the tip. I like to apply 2-three coats depending on the look I am trying to achieve. With this mascara you won’t be afraid of packing on the layers.
What other EcoDiva Beauty products should I try? Have you tried my top five favorites?