Why You Should Use Face Oils
Old adages (and lots of well-meaning dermatologists) told us to ubiquitously strip our beauty products of oils, lest our skin erupt in uncontrollable blemishes. The problem? Stripping our products of oils can also strip our skin of hydration, and leave us in a worse situation than before. So, why should you use face oils on your skin? Anna Mitsios, founder of Edible Beauty Australia, gives us the details (and you can get a FREE, full-sized face oil with our April promotion!).
Why You Should Use A Face Oil
- Glow. Face oils are abundant in antioxidants which have a brightening and illuminating effect. & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains a synergy of oils which infuse the skin with youth and vitality. Specifically it contains snowflower seed oil and kakadu plum which are abundant in vitamin C to boost collagen production and brighten the skin. It also contains emu apple seed oil which has four times the antioxidants of blueberries.
- Plump and Hydrate. Most moisturisers contain a small amount of oil, but not enough to make a big difference in water loss. Face oils are lipophilic, or fat loving, which means they pass though the lipid layer of the skin faster, preventing water loss and plumping skin with moisture more effectively. Camellia seed oil found in & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil contains more than 98% long-chain fatty acids. The unusual chemistry contains more carbon atoms than other edible oils, making it an excellent emollient oil that is intensely moisturising without being greasy. When applied to the skin it forms a moisture barrier to aid the skin in preventing moisture loss.
- Better Absorption. If you apply an oil before your serum or anti-aging moisturiser, the oil molecules behave like carriers, enabling the skin to let active ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C deeper into the skin layers and closer to the collagen-producing fibroblasts, without irritating the surface.
- Even Skin Tone and Reduce Hyper Pigmentation. Snowflower seed oil is one of the key ingredients in assisting in evening skin tone and reducing hyper pigmentation in our face oil. Named after the white, fluffy flowers of the plant, snowflower seed oil reduces pigmentation, sunspots and enhances brightness and illumination of the skin.
- Reduce Acne. Precisely what many of us presume causes acne, actually prevents and treats it. Often the skin cells, when starved of hydration will begin to over produce oil in an effort to combat the moisture imbalance. Using nourishing natural facial oils actually feeds, protects and supports our skin tissue, helping to restore its balance and prevent acne break outs while promoting moisture and hydration.
Tips on How to Apply & Snowflower Illuminating Face Oil
- Place four drops of oil on to the palm of one hand then using the finger of your other hand dot some oil onto the four quadrants of your face—your forehead, cheeks and chin prior to moisturising. Gently massage the oil evenly across your face. If your skin is very oil then one drop on the palm of your hand spread across the four areas of your face will be enough for you!
- Face oil is best applied after cleansing and toning and before moisturising. The molecules found in face oil are small which means they penetrate deep into the layers of the skin. Moisturiser molecules tend to be larger which may create a barrier making it difficult for the face oil to be absorbed.
- Applying a hydrating mist such as our No. 2 Citrus Rhapsody Radiance Tonique prior to using your face oil assists the oil to penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin.
- Blend your face oil with your foundation to create an extra dewy glow.
- Dab some face oil onto your cheeks for a cheeky illuminating effect.
- Apply a small amount of face oil to the tips of your hair to add back moisture.
- When flying, apply one to two drops over your moisturiser every hour to provide a protective barrier to prevent moisture loss from the dry cabin air.
- Use as a cleansing oil by applying on a cotton pad and wiping across the face to gently remove eye make and foundation.