HOW DO YOU USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR YOUR BEST MORNING ROUTINE?
Our brains are inherently lazy: They love patterns and habits because patterns that are familiar means critical thinking isn’t as necessary. Any time we create familiarity, the brain is relieved. With this in mind, scent is a great way to help let the mind and body know a habit is occurring, and using scent strategically is also an easy way to trick the brain into creating new habits. Some of our most read blog posts on VITRUVI.com and most requested products are for morning products, so I'm going to share with you what my morning routine looks like and how you can help create those scent patterns to make mornings easier - read on!
While I’ve always been a morning person (I’m up every day around 5:30 a.m.), using essential oils during my morning routine has been a game changer, especially when needing familiarity during times of frequent work travel. I’ve noticed that in the years since starting VITRUVI that when my mornings start with ritual and purpose, I feel so much more ready to take on the day and to be a better leader with our team. After getting a number of requests to write about my personal morning routine, I thought I would share some of the ways I use botanicals to kick-start my day.
- First thing I do when I wake up is use my WAKE mist. The combination of the refreshing spray and the uplifting essential oils is the perfect way to stimulate wakefulness. It's a complex combination of oils that we designed to have a masculine and yet fresh aroma. Juniper eases stress without a sedative effect, eucalyptus promotes deep breathing and opens the lungs while bergamot is responsible for increasing alertness. I use this as a natural face toner: After splashing cold water on my face, I do a quick mist of WAKE.
- Anyone who knows me, knows that I basically survive on coffee… But before I have my first cup in the morning I have a large mug of roasted dandelion tea. Dandelion tea has been shown to help with detoxifying the liver and helps with digestion, it was my new year resolution to start drinking more of it, and I’m loving it.
- I always have my diffuser on while I’m getting ready. I like to use pure lemongrass or peppermint. Energizing lemongrass or peppermint help to wake up the brain, increase logical thinking and stimulate concentration. It’s a really great alternative to a candle, especially for your bathroom or bedroom.
- When I get to the office and start to settle into my work, I alternate between our FOCUS blend and BALANCE blend (depending on how stressful the day is). One of our most popular products, FOCUS is designed with lemongrass, rosemary, clove and basil. Lemongrass is a highly effective stimulant, rosemary aids memory retention, basil enables clear thinking and clove helps to increase focus. BALANCE is my all-time favorite product because it is so calming and the aroma helps me feel at home wherever I am, whether NYC or in Tokyo. It provides the consistency I crave.
- LIn the late morning / early afternoon, I usually need a pick-me-up, and my coffee alternative at the office is matcha tea cashew milk cappuccinos with organic vanilla extract and Cardamom. It’s a nice mix between a chai and a coffee and helps warm me up during late evenings at the office.
While I’ve always been a natural morning person, essential oils has created consistency in my mornings and helped my days become not only more productive, but put me into a more creative and to feel a little more constant.
Let us know what essential oils you like to use in the morning! xx